Every essay has three main structural elements: Introduction, Body paragraphs, and Conclusion. An essay without these is incomplete and cannot be regarded as the perfect essay. The same goes for descriptive essay writing. It also has these three structural elements. Do you know which is the most critical element of an essay? Yes, you have guessed it right. It is the body paragraphs. Body paragraphs of a descriptive essay are really hard to craft.
As you are here, it means you do not know how to craft them. Well, there is no need to worry at all. In today’s post, we will look at the ways of writing and formatting body paragraphs of this essay type. However, before moving on to this discussion, let’s define it.
What is a descriptive essay?
It is a type of essay or composition which describes an object, process, event, or something else. The aim of this essay is to explain the topic under study to the readers. For this, he looks at the topic from every possible angle and shows what the topic means. Descriptive writing mostly appeals to the five senses of the reader. It is a characteristic of good descriptive essay writing. Hence, this is what descriptive writing or an essay is all about.
What are the components of a body paragraph?
A body paragraph is a major section of an essay. It is the unit of text that contains most of the information about your topic. This is the section where you present the problem and back it up with strong shreds of evidence. A good and perfect body paragraph of a descriptive essay has three components: topic sentence, supporting sentence and concluding sentence. A brief description of each component is as follows:
1. Topic sentence
The first component of the body paragraph is known as the topic sentence. Basically, it is the opening sentence of your first, second, or third body paragraph. This component’s main purpose is to prepare the audience for the information coming in the next sentences. It is important to note that each body paragraph of a descriptive essay has its topic sentence.
2. Supporting sentences
After the topic sentence comes the supporting sentences. The pieces of evidence that you have to back your claim about the essay topic are presented in these sentences. As the writer, you must fill in the supporting sentences with substance and analysis. To back your argument, you may use statistics or textual evidence in these sentences. However, if you do not know how to write supporting sentences, you can get help from a cheap essay writing service.
3. Concluding sentence
Body paragraphs of a descriptive essay have their own concluding sentence. Do not confuse it with the conclusion of the essay. A conclusive sentence refers to the last line of the body paragraph, and it gives the reader a snapshot of what has been discussed above. Remember that this is a single sentence, and you must not exceed this limit.
Top tips to follow when writing body paragraphs
From the discussion above, you now have an idea of the components of the body paragraph of a descriptive essay. However, to increase the impact of your essay, you must know some tips to craft them perfectly. Hence, a brief description of the top tips is as follows:
- The first tip is that you should give concrete pieces of evidence in support of your argument. Without strong evidence, body paragraphs cannot be strong, which ultimately affects the quality of your essay.
- It is very important to determine the main idea before writing the body paragraphs. So, brainstorm on the essay topic and find some good ideas to discuss in the body of the essay. Discussing ideas that are not relevant to the topic of the descriptive essay is just time-wasting.
- When writing the body of descriptive writing, make sure that you expand on the essay topic well. The body is the section where most of the information falls, and also, it is the demand of descriptive writing that you must describe it, so expand on the topic.
- Make use of transition words when you are switching between body paragraphs. Transition words make the transition from one body paragraph to another smooth and easy. These words create a coherent flow throughout the entire piece of writing.
- Lastly, after writing the body paragraphs, you should edit and proofread them. Do this so that there are no spelling, grammatical, or contextual mistakes in your descriptive essay. Edit and proofread the essay after taking a short break.
To sum up, the body paragraphs are the main units where most of the text of your descriptive essay comes. When writing the body paragraphs, make sure that you take good care of all its components. The tips for writing body paragraphs are mentioned above. Hence, follow all the tips and write strong body paragraphs.